Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.5. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Accounts FAQ.
- 1 How can I get my students to sign up to my Moodle site?
- 2 How can I suspend a user's account?
- 3 Can Moodle send a notification e-mails automatically to a new user when an account is created for them?
- 4 How can I log in as another user?
- 5 How can I prevent users from editing elements of their profile?
- 6 The search box for users is limited to 100 displayed users. Can I change this?
- 7 I am getting an error uploading a csv file with user data
How can I get my students to sign up to my Moodle site?
Look at how to set up email based self registration.
How can I suspend a user's account?
Tick the 'Suspended account' checkbox on the edit profile page.
Can Moodle send a notification e-mails automatically to a new user when an account is created for them?
Not at the moment with core Moodle. See Tracker items MDL-19390.
There is a work around. If you create a CSV for your user, and OMIT the password field a cron job does get triggered and an e-mail is sent to the user. The text of the e-mail is customisable by an administrator in the admin settings. See: https://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Upload_users#Fields_that_can_be_included
News: fixed in Moodle 2.6. See https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-19390
How can I log in as another user?
This is normally only allowed for administrators or managers because of possible security issues. Click on the user's profile and then look in the Settings block on the side. Click the link there.
Note that when you have finished, you will be logged out and will have to log in again. This is deliberate, again for security reasons, but you will be returned to the page you just left.
How can I prevent users from editing elements of their profile?
You can lock user fields from Settings>Site Administration>Plugins>Authentication>Manual accounts
The search box for users is limited to 100 displayed users. Can I change this?
Yes -see User policies
I am getting an error uploading a csv file with user data
This may be due to a number of causes:
- open up your file in a text editor such as notepad and ensure you don't have any extra commas
- make sure when you use, for example, the fields 'course1', 'course2' that you are using the SHORT name for the course
- make sure if you are uploading cohorts that you use the ID of the cohort and not its name
- make sure if you are adding a country that you use the 2 letter country code and not the full country name.