Available for group members only
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.3. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Available for group members only.
Available for group members only is an experimental feature which may be enabled by an administrator in Settings > Site administration > Development > Experimental.
Assigning an activity to a grouping
To assign an activity to a particular grouping:
- On the edit activity page, click the "Show advanced" button in the common module settings section.
- Ensure that the group mode is set to separate or visible groups.
- Select the grouping from the grouping dropdown menu. (No grouping means user has t one member of any group)
- Check the "Available for group members only" checkbox
- Click the "Save changes" button at the bottom of the page.
The name of the grouping will then appear in brackets after the activity name on the course page.
- Note: If a graded activity is assigned to a particular grouping only, it will still appear in the gradebook for all users unless gradebook categories are set up in a certain way. See MDL-13868 for further details.
- Note: You cannot make an activity visible to only one group of students without first placing them into a grouping.
Classroom teachers in different departments might tell some students to enroll in a refresher course. Each department has their own tutor. Each student in the refresher course might be assigned to a group associated with their classroom teacher. The groups are put into department groupings. For example, a University has Anthropology, Engineering and Computing departments with 3 or 4 teachers in each department that have their students take a refresher statistics class. While all students in the statistics class may receive some of the same material, groupings will allow a department focus, while still tracking students by their classroom teacher. If a student is not in a classroom group, they will not be in a department grouping. And a student who is both in a Computing classroom group and an Engineering classroom group, will belong to more than one grouping.