Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.2. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: File FAQ.
- 1 My students cannot open the file I uploaded for them
- 2 Why is it possible to select multiple files in the file settings?
- 3 How can I upload a lot of files in one go?
- 4 How can I change the top frame size when displaying a file in a frame?
- 5 If I upload a file in one course, can I use it in another course as well?
- 6 How can I make ppt files open within Moodle rather than downloading?
- 7 How can I see or show the size of the file I have uploaded?
My students cannot open the file I uploaded for them
Check that the students have the appropriate software to open your file. While Moodle will accept different types of files, it relies on the user to read them with the relevant program. If you uploaded a MS Word 2010 document for instance, make sure your class is able to access Office 2010, or provide them with alternatives such as links to Open Office, a "reader" or a pdf version of your file. If your teaching involves the use of subject-specific proprietary software, you should ensure your students are given the means to open the files at home as well as in your establishment.
Why is it possible to select multiple files in the file settings?
Because you might be uploading a set of HTML pages with resources. You make the index.HTML page the main one, and can reference the other resources.
How can I upload a lot of files in one go?
You can use the Folder resource to display multiple files. Put all your files into a folder, zip(compress) the folder and upload it to the Folder resource. Click the icon to the right of its name to unzip it and then save. All the files will then display.
How can I change the top frame size when displaying a file in a frame?
- Login as an admin and go to Settings > Site administration > Plugins > Activity modules > File.
- Change the 'Frame height' setting.
- Click the 'Save changes' button.
If I upload a file in one course, can I use it in another course as well?
Yes. From the file picker, choose Server files and then navigate to the course where you uploaded the file initially and select it there.
How can I make ppt files open within Moodle rather than downloading?
You need to convert the ppt to something else, for example a swf file (using Open/Libre Office). See also Embedding PowerPoint into Moodle via Google Docs video.
How can I see or show the size of the file I have uploaded?
Students who need to download files appreciate being able to see its size especially if they have a poor broadband connection. This will be possible in Moodle 2.3. See tracker entry MDL-31121