How can I enable guests to participate in a chat activity?
(The guest role has some special functionality, for example when a guest attempts to participate in a chat, they obtain the message "The chat is not open to guests. Would you like to log in now with a full user account?". Despite the permissions interface suggesting otherwise, it's not possible to modify the guest role to allow guests to participate in chat activities.)
How can I use audio chat?
Moodle itself does not yet include an audio chat solution, due to the large server requirements to implement a standalone solution.
However, there is a choice of third party modules that you can install into your Moodle to achieve this:
- OpenMeetings - FREE full audio/video conferencing http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/
- Dimdim - FREE until March 15, 2011 full audio/video conferencing http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=932
- Elluminate Live - full audio/video conferencing http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=557
- Wimba - full audio/video conferencing http://www.wimba.com/products/moodle_integration/
- Marratech - full audio/video conferencing https://docs.moodle.org/en/Emeeting_module
- Nanogong - FREE, for recorded audio http://gong.ust.hk/nanogong/moodle.html
How can I restrict Chat so certain users cannot access it?
You need to create a new role -such as "NoChat" and apply it in the system context to the student(s) you want to prevent from chatting.
1. Go to Settings>Site administration>Users>Permissions>Define Roles
2. Click Add a new role - name it for example "NoChat"
3. In the context types, select "system"
3. Type "chat" in the filter box.
4. Set the button for Access a Chat room (mod/chat:chat)to Prohibitand save.
5. Go to Settings>Site administration>Users>Permissions>Assign system roles
6. Click on the new "NoChat" role and assign your chosen student(s) this role
7. When they try to go into a chat room they will get a message that they cannot access the Chat.
- Using Moodle Chat module forum