Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 1.9. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Portfolios.
Portfolios in Moodle 2.0 onwards enable data, such as forum posts or assignment submissions, to be exported to external systems.
Portfolios in Moodle 2.0 video:
The media player is loading...
Enabling the use of portfolios is a 2-step process for an administrator:
- Check the enableportfolios box in Site Administration > Advanced features
- Enable selected portfolio plugins in Site Administration > Plugins > Portfolios > Manage portfolios
Portfolio plugins available in Moodle 2.0 include:
- Box.net internet storage
- File download
- Flickr online photo management system
- Google Docs
- Mahara ePortfolio
- When portfolios are enabled, forum posts and other exportable data (see below) have a save link beside them.
- User clicks one of these buttons.
- User is able to choose from a list of configured portfolios (this step will be skipped if there's only one).
- User may be asked to define the export format of the captured content e.g. HTML, images and text.
- User may be asked to define some metadata to go with the captured content (some will be generated automatically).
- The content and metadata is COPIED to the external portfolio system.
- User has the option to return to the page they were previously viewing or visit the their portfolio (certain portfolios only).
Possible export formats include
- LEAP2A, a specification for e-portfolio portability
Additional formats such as PDF can be added.
- Assignment submissions - single and multiple file uploads
- Chat sessions
- Database activity module entries (##export## tag may be added to list and single templates)
- Database activities
- Forum posts
- Glossary entries