Cloze editor module
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 1.9. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Cloze editor module.
You can download specific versions for Moodle 1.9, 2.0, 2.1 and for 2.4 up to 2.7 from Google code.
- For the 1.9 version, English/German/French/Spanish translations for these strings are included
For Moodle 1.9
Here's a demonstration of the 1.9 version:
Installation for Moodle 1.9 version
- copy to your moodleroot directory, keeping the directory structure
The following files in your origina Moodle installation will be overwritten with mod'd files (so make sure to BACK THEM UP before):
lib/weblib.php * lib/editor/htmlarea/htmlarea.php lib/editor/htmlarea/dialog.js
* Overwriting the weblib.php file is OPTIONAL:
- If you choose to include this modified weblib.php file, the CLOZE-editor button will only show for teachers, and only in question-interfaces. In any other editor instances, and for students, it will be hidden. This is very convenient :)
- If you refrain from overwriting the weblib.php file, the cloze editor plugin will still work, but the editor button will be visible in EVERY editor instance for teachers, but not for students. This might be disconcertirg for some teachers :(
Using the cloze editor
- We will be asking the students to choose the correct word used in a poem by Emily Dickinson:
- The cloze editor button is a small yellow question mark in the HTML editor.
- Write a small text (e.g, the poem) in the HTML editor
- Select a word to be replaced by a CLOZE (in this case, bee)
- Click on the small yellow question mark
- Choose the type of CLOZE sub-question format that you want (in this case, a drop-down menu in-line in the text)
- The correct answer has been placed automatically.
- Check it and write some feedback if you want
- Fill in the wrong answers (if any)
- Click on the 'Insert' button to process
- The correct CLOZE syntax will be shown within the editor window
- Save the question
- Check that the question works as intended
- The CLOZE-editor button will only show for teachers.
- For students, it will be hidden.
- Once installed, all teachers will see the cloze editor button every time they use the HTML editor, even when they are writing something else not related to a cloze question (e.g: a forum post).
- If you make a Language customization, you can have the cloze editor in your preferred language.
- The following image shows a mexican spanish translation of the English language strings of this add-on.
- And here are the translated strings being used inside the plugin: