As you access the chat session page, clicking the 'Click here to enter the chat now' link, you will see it divided into two parts, the left one with the posts that appear during a given chat session and the right one listing the people in the chat room at the very moment. Underneath you will find the field, in which you can type the message you wish to appear on the chat session page.
In Moodle 1.8.6 onwards, the chat window auto-scroll may be disabled by un-checking the auto scroll checkbox below the text input field.
The chat module contains some features to make chatting a little nicer.
- Any smiley faces (emoticons) that you can type elsewhere in Moodle can also be typed in here and they will be displayed correctly.
- Internet addresses will be turned into links automatically.
- You can start a line with
:to emote. For example, if your name is Kim and you type
/me laughs!then everyone will see "Kim laughs!"
- You can send a sound to other people by hitting the "beep" link next to their name. A useful shortcut to beep all the people in the chat at once is to type "beep all".
- If you know some HTML code, you can use it in your text to do things like insert images, play sounds or create different coloured and sized text.