This document is your starting point for learning about our plans for upcoming releases of Moodle. See our Releases page for details about current and past releases.
After Moodle 2.0 we switched to time-based releases rather than feature-based releases (see our development process). Because of this, the details below are an indication of current MAJOR priorities only, and are subject to change according to how long things actually take to finish. If something is not ready for a release then it will generally just be pushed to the next major release.
These larger items in the roadmap are part of a long-term development vision for Moodle, which is heavily influenced by requests from our user community. Each release also includes a lot of smaller items that come direct from the community and are included in core if they are popular and if they "fit" the overall design.
- MDL-39797 - New Events system with more detail and scope
- MDL-37658 - Completely new framework for logging and reporting in Moodle
- MDL-43841 - New editor Atto
- MDL-42964 - Many changes to Bootstrap themes (including Clean) for usability
Upcoming important dates
- 2.7 Full demo of new code: 24 March 2014
- 2.7 Code freeze (no new features accepted): 7th April 2014
- 2.7 QA begins (start of QA testing): 14th April 2014
- 2.7 Release date (assuming all tests pass): 12th May 2014
Other projects for the near future
This list is currently in flux, watch for updates soon.
- Mnet - replacement using standard Oauth2 mechanisms and web services
- MDL-40230 - Connecting outcomes with rubrics and learning plans
- Mobile usability project
- Wiki - Review OUWiki as a replacement for wiki in core
- Forum - extend Forum with requested features
- Survey - An activity module to combine Survey, Questionnaire and Feedback
- Releases - versions of Moodle that have already been released