Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.4. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Upgrading FAQ.
- 1 How do I upgrade from 1.9 to 2.4?
- 2 How do I upgrade Moodle? Do I just overwrite the files?
- 3 I obtain the message "Upgrade already running in this session, please wait!"
- 4 I've just upgraded to Moodle 2 and notice lots of missing files
- 5 Courses with "display a directory" aren't restoring correctly.
- 6 Can I upgrade more than one version at a time?
- 7 See also
How do I upgrade from 1.9 to 2.4?
1.9.x -> 1.9.latest -> 2.2.latest -> 2.4.latest
(It is better to upgrade to latest current stable before going to next branch, the same for add-on plugins; upgrading from early stable branches usually works but there is no guarantee.)
How do I upgrade Moodle? Do I just overwrite the files?
Do NOT overwrite files, as it may cause strange errors. Read the Upgrading documentation before proceeding.
I obtain the message "Upgrade already running in this session, please wait!"
Most likely you refreshed the page before the completion message. If you are absolutely sure that there are no upgrade processes active (php and/or mysql), you can click on "!!!" and restart the upgrade.
- Note: If you click on "'!!!" or try to restart the upgrade from another browser, there is a chance that your data in the database could be corrupted. If this happens, you will need to restore the database from sql dump and then restart the upgrade and wait - the process can take several hours on large sites.
I've just upgraded to Moodle 2 and notice lots of missing files
Check whether the files were also missing in the Moodle 1.9 site. Often problems, which on first sight seem to be caused by the upgrade, actually existed in the 1.9 site.
Courses with "display a directory" aren't restoring correctly.
This has now been fixed for Moodle 2.4.2 so if it possible for you to upgrade to this version then this should now work.
Can I upgrade more than one version at a time?
You can only upgrade to Moodle 2.4 from Moodle 2.2 or later.
You can only upgrade to Moodle 2.2 from Moodle 1.9 or later.
For information on upgrading from versions of Moodle prior to 1.9, see the section 'Upgrading more than one version' in the Moodle 2.2 documentation Upgrading.
- Using Moodle Notes on upgrading Moodle from 1.9.x to 2.4.1 on a shared server forum discussion