Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.4. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Blocks FAQ.
- Managing blocks
- Block settings
- Admin bookmarks
- Blog menu
- Blog tags
- Community finder
- Course completion status
- Course overview
- Course/site summary
- Latest news
- Logged in user
- Main menu
- My private files
- Network servers
- Online users
- Quiz results
- Random glossary entry
- Recent activity
- Recent blog entries
- Remote RSS feeds
- Search forums
- Section links
- Self completion
- Social activities
- Upcoming events
- Blocks FAQ
- 1 How do I hide front page blocks from non-logged-in users?
- 2 How do I get rid of a link in "Site Pages" in the Navigation block?
- 3 How do I make a front page block visible to teachers but not students?
- 4 How can I change a Block item name from a list inside a block?
- 5 How to I make a block "sticky"?
- 6 Where did that block come from? I do not want it!
- 7 How can I decide the order in which blocks are docked?
- 8 How can I add a block to all user profile pages?
- 9 How can I prevent users from adding blocks to their My home page?
- 10 The blocks have disappeared from the front page/course page!
- 11 Help! I accidentally hid the settings block without realising the consequences.
- 12 I accidentally deleted the navigation (or settings) block!
- 13 My Settings block links don't expand!
- 14 See also
How do I hide front page blocks from non-logged-in users?
- Click the "Turn editing on" button at the top-right of the front page. (You need to be logged in as an administrator.)
- Click the assign roles icon (a face and mask) in the header of the block to be hidden. (NOTE: Don't worry if you get an error message saying you are not able to assign roles ;) )
- Scroll down to the settings block and click the Permissions link
- In the View block section, click the X next to Guest
- Click the "Save changes" button.
When a resource or activity (like a page, file or forum) is added to the Main menu block on the front page, it will appear in the Site Pages of the Navigation block. If you need the item but don't want it to display then go to Site administration>Appearance>Navigation and uncheck "show front page activities in the navigation". If you no longer want the item then turn on the editing on the front page, go to or add the Main menu block and click to delete the item.
How do I make a front page block visible to teachers but not students?
It is possible to control who sees block on the front page. The following applies to any specified group of people, not just teachers and students.
- Ensure you have hidden your block from non-logged in users as in the instructions above.
- In Settings>Site administration>Users>Permissions>Define roles, click on "authenticated user on the front page"
- In the context type, select "block"
- Set moodle/block:view to "allow". Save the changes.
- Turn editing on on your front page.
- Click the "assign roles " icon on your block.
- Click the blue words of "authenticated user on the front page" to access the screen where you can choose who you want to allow to see this block (such as your teachers) by moving them from the right hand box to the left.
- Now click "Permissions" in the Settings block.
- Click the X next to "authenticated user" to prevent them viewing this block.
- From now on, regular authenticated users will not be able to see the block. However, those who have been given the role of "authenticated user on the front page" will be able to see it.
How can I change a Block item name from a list inside a block?
You can change an item name in Settings>Site Administration > Language> Language customization Select the 'moodle.php' file then search for the words you need to alter.
How to I make a block "sticky"?
See Block settings. Using the edit icon in the block heading, go to the configuration page. Look for the "Where this block appears" group and "Display on page types". Depending upon your current context and permissions, you will see different options. One maybe "All pages" or "Any type of course main page", and others.
Where did that block come from? I do not want it!
Your site administrator or some one with more permissions than you decided that block should be there. It is possible to force a block to appear on other pages. For example, a site administrator my force a HTML block on every main course page and determine where it will be, so they may put site messages there.
Your site administrator can tell where every instance of a block appears via Blocks administration.
How can I decide the order in which blocks are docked?
Blocks are "docked", from top to bottom (usually on the left) in the order in which you dock them.
How can I add a block to all user profile pages?
See User profiles for instructions.
How can I prevent users from adding blocks to their My home page?
See My home for instructions.
The blocks have disappeared from the front page/course page!
This can sometimes be caused by users pasting from Microsoft Word which corrupts the formatting. See this forum post for more details https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=217390#p958884
Help! I accidentally hid the settings block without realising the consequences.
- Go to http://yourmoodlesite.org/admin/blocks.php
- Unhide the settings block by clicking the closed eye icon opposite it
- Go to Settings > Site administration > Plugins > Blocks > Manage blocks (or via the URL http://yourmoodlesite.org/admin/blocks.php) and unprotect the navigation block by clicking the padlock icon
- Turn editing on in any course
- Go to the front page and use the 'Add a block' dropdown menu to add a navigation block there, setting it to display throughout the entire site
- Go back to Administration > Site administration > Plugins > Blocks > Manage blocks and re-protect the navigation block.
The above method works the same for the navigation and settings blocks.
- Using Moodle Blocks forum
Using Moodle forum discussions:
- More problems with "Sticky" blocks in 2.2 with instructions on how to make blocks appear on all course pages