Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 1.9. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Statistics.
Location: Administration > Server > Statistics
If you enable site statistics, Moodle will gather statistics about each course and for the whole site, and produce graphs displaying them.
The statistics graphs and tables show how many hits there have been on various parts of your site during various time frames. They do not show how many distinct users there have been. They are processed daily at a time you specify. You must enable statistics before you will see anything.
Enabling site statistics
- Access Administration > Server > Statistics (or Site Administration > Advanced features in 2.0 onwards).
- Tick the "Enable statistics" checkbox.
- As stats processing is quite resource intensive, it is recommended that you should set the stats processing to start in the early morning.
- Click the "Save changes" button.
- TIP: Set the stats processing to start an hour before your automated course backups are scheduled to start, then set the maximum runtime to 1 hour. This ensures that stats are not being processed at the same time as course backups are being made.
Statistics not working?
If statistics isn't working and you have checked all the obvious (such as whether it's enabled), check Administration > Modules for any old hidden modules in the database which miss the files in the moodle/mod folder on your server. If you find any, they should be deleted.
You can also try limiting the length of time logs are kept for to reduce the size of the tables. Go to Administration > Server > Cleanup to set this.
To run stats manually, go to the database, go to the mdl_config table and set statslastdaily, statslastweekly and statslastmonthly to 0 (leave statslastmonthly alone if you think it might be large logtables causing the problem). Then go to Administration > Server > Statistics and set statsruntimestarthour to 5 mins ago. Then visit http://www.yoursite.com/admin/cron.php. You should see output there saying that stats are processing, but be patient if it appears to hang - this can take between 5 mins and several hours depending on how big your site is, so just leave it going.