XMLDB is Moodle's database abstraction layer. That is, the library of code that lets moodle interact with and access the database.
In this page you will find links to all the XMLDB related documentation. Currently you will find documents both belonging to the XMLDB category and to the general Developer and Installation categories plus some interesting external links.
- Introduction: Where the general idea of the XMLDB whole thing is explained.
- Roadmap: An overall view of the process of implementing the XMLDB subsystem, with details for each point of the process.
- Problems: A comprensive list of issues that need to be determined/solved prior to incorporate them to the roadmap.
- Installing MSSQL for PHP: One short manual about the steps needed to successfully add MSSQL support to PHP.
- Installing Oracle for PHP: One short manual about the steps needed to successfully add Oracle support to PHP.
- Installing Moodle: The guide to install Moodle (once you have the LAMP platform working in your server.
- DDL functions: One list of the new XMLDB Data Definition functions and their usage.
- DML functions: One list of the available Data Manipulation functions and their usage.
- XMLDB Usage: Explanation about the XML schema basis, the XML editor embedded within Moodle, its naming conventions and one simple but illustrative example.
- Coding guidelines: The main coding guidelines and, more exactly, the database structures section that you must follow carefully in order to produce good cross-db code.
- Database schema: Moodle database diagrams in DBDesigner4 format.
Bugs and new features
- XMLDB known bugs
- XMLDB pending improvements and features
- Developers forum: For general development discussions.
- Databases forum: For DBs related development discussions.