|Moodle Forum Revamp|
|Assignee||Jason Fowler & Andrew Nicols @ Moodle HQ|
- Improve accessibility of the Moodle Forums
- Make the forums more modern in appearance
- Make the code in the forums module more manageable
- Make it possible for themers and developers to over ride aspects of the forum layout easily
- Backwards compatibility
- Creating sub-plugins for "Forum Types" (Q&A etc) and "Forum View"
- Subscription management
- Editor Light - a cut down version of Atto for "Reply inline"
- Make use of Renderables and Renders
At present the Moodle forums are the oldest part of the code base, and lag behind the rest of Moodle in a big way.
We hope to implement a new interface for the forums, based on the accessible view from MoodleRooms' HSU Forum, and add some new functionality over time.
- Forum can not be over ridden by themers or developers.
- Difficult to add new core forum types.
- Impossible to add contrib forum types.
- Forum is difficult to use as an accessible service.
- Forum is not even close to WCAG compliant.
- Forum look awful compared to modern areas of Moodle.
- Missing features
- Thread level subscription
- Post locking
- Post hiding
- Time locking
- Discussion sorting
- Private reply
- Sticky posts
- Inline reply
- Forum code does not match the current coding guidelines.
We will need to take apart the current forum code base, and rewrite the bulk of it to allow the implementation of sub plugins for forum view and forum types. This will allow contrib developers to add new plugins to forum and extend it as they see fit.
Create accessible forum view
The core forum view would be modelled on the Accessible Forum from Moodlerooms, rewritten to make proper use of the renderers and renderables. This would contain the renderers and renderables used by the forum types.