Forum notifications as messages
WARNING: Under construction RIGHT NOW!
Forum notifications are now done via the messaging system rather than by the forum sending out emails itself. Unfortunately forum notifications then appear on /message/index.php which is proving to be annoying and confusing on a site with busy forums. There two closely related problems:
- Each forum post notification consumes a lot of screen real estate. See the below screenshot for an example. This makes the whole interface less usable as it requires lots of scrolling past unnecessary and repeated items of text.
- Forum notifications appear to be coming from the author of the forum post and so are displayed among personal messages exchanged by the two users. For example if two users, Mary and John, are having a conversation via personal messages and Mary posts in a forum, John's notification of that post will appear among their personal messages as if it were a personal message from Mary. This is potentially confusing and interupts the flow of conversation.
- Reduce the real estate consumed by forum notifications and visually differentiate them from personal messages.
- Differentiate messages and notifications.
- Try to avoid putting forum notifications through the messaging system.
- Are there any other alternatives?