Translating the Moodle app
- 1 Moodle app translations
- 2 How do I translate words and phrases used in the Moodle app?
- 3 I am not a language pack maintainer. How can I contribute a translation?
- 4 When will the translated strings be shown in the Moodle App?
- 5 My language does not appear in the App
Moodle app translations
The Moodle app is being translated into more and more languages! See https://moodle.org/plugins/translations.php?plugin=local_moodlemobileapp for the latest translation stats.
How do I translate words and phrases used in the Moodle app?
To help with translating, you first need to create an account on the Moodle translation site.
The Moodle app strings may be found here: https://lang.moodle.org/local/amos/view.php?t=1&c=*app&m=1
Just select the desired language and Save the filter to display them.
Advanced selection of strings
All strings used in the App are indexed here: https://github.com/moodlehq/moodlemobile2/blob/master/scripts/langindex.json
Each line has the following format:
- "module.stringidentifier": "component": In this case the string will be translated using the stringidentifier on the component file.
- "module.stringidentifier": "component/componentstring": In this case the string will be translated using the componentstring on the component file.
Some examples are:
- "addon.block_recentlyaccessedcourses.nocourses": "block_recentlyaccessedcourses" - Means it will use "nocourses" from block_recentlyaccessedcourses component in AMOS.
- "addon.mod_workshop.yourassessment": "workshop/assessmentbyyourself" - Means it will use "assessmentbyyourself" from workshop component in AMOS.
The component local_moodlemobileapp have the specific strings of the Moodle App, but there are most of the strings are located along the other components. To select all the Moodle App strings: Click on Moodle App bellow the components selector. This action will auto-select the following:
- Last version available option (it is selected by default). The propagation to other version is done automatically.
- Components user in the App.
- Only strings that are being used in the Moodle App: This will filter only the strings used in every component on the App.
Additionally you will see a little mobile icon over the strings used in the App. Rolling over it it will show the string identifier in the App.
I am not a language pack maintainer. How can I contribute a translation?
The process is the same as for core Moodle. See Contributing a translation.
Note: Please contact the maintainer of your language pack as listed in the Translation credits to tell them that you are translating the Moodle App. (If you don't receive a reply within a reasonable time, contact our Moodle translation coordinator, Koen Roggemans, firstname.lastname@example.org.)
When will the translated strings be shown in the Moodle App?
Translations are not automatically synchronised with the app; you will have to wait to the next app release to see your latest translations.
My language does not appear in the App
Only selected languages are available in the App. The selection is done using the following criteria:
- Over 75% of the strings used in the App are available in the language and more than 50 strings are from local_moodlemobileapp component.
- Over 50% of the strings used in the App are available in the language and more than 75 strings are from local_moodlemobileapp component.
This is done to ensure translations are rich enough.