NanoGong/Converting to Moodle 2.0

From MoodleDocs

Note: This page is a work-in-progress. Feedback and suggested improvements are welcome. Please join the discussion on or use the page comments.

This page is for collecting relevant information for converting NanoGong to Moodle 2.0. Any help is welcome! --Frank Ralf 10:35, 7 April 2011 (UTC)

Moodle 2.0

Java settings

(Not sure if this is relevant, but better to keep in mind ...)


General information on filters in Moodle 2.0 can be found at Filters 2.0 and for developers at Filters 2.0.

Language folder

Add language folder: \lang\en\filter_nanogong.php with the following content:

$string['filtername'] = 'NanoGong audio';

Filter function

The filter function is wrapped inside a class:

class filter_nanogong extends moodle_text_filter {
    function filter($text, array $options = array()){

Note: The callback function has to be outside this class definition!

Preventing caching

$CFG->currenttextiscacheable = false;

is deprecated, outcommented

File API

Proof of concept

  • Instead of the old file.php the new File API uses pluginfile.php.
  • I uploaded a test file (sentence.wav) as a resource to find out the internal URL Moodle uses for serving this file.
  • I then added this full URL as attribute to the NanoGong tag:
    caption="Testing NanoGong..." 
  • As the URL is already in its full format I just commented out the following lines in filter.php.
if ($url != "") {
    if ($CFG->slasharguments)
        $url; # = "{$CFG->wwwroot}/file.php$url";
        $url; # = "{$CFG->wwwroot}/file.php?file=$url";
  • This works as a proof of concept.

Getting closer ...

This modification does also work:

NanoGong tag
    caption="Testing NanoGong..." 
if ($url != "") {
    if ($CFG->slasharguments)
        $url = "{$CFG->wwwroot}/pluginfile.php$url";
        $url; # = "{$CFG->wwwroot}/file.php?file=$url";


Itamar' first shot

Note: Just copied over from --Frank Ralf 17:49, 13 September 2011 (WST)

In response to Frank's request to join forces I thought I'd give it a shot and happy to let ya all know that I've managed to make it work as a dataform field:

It is still just a stub and at any rate the implementation assumes all kinds of things the dataform does, so the code itself may not be very useful. But the approach and some relevant bits of code may help so here's a summary and if you have any questions just let me know.

I basically create a draft area and pass the draft item id to the uploading php script which resides in a designated file. In that script I create an instance of repository_upload and call its upload method:

$repo = new repository_upload($repo_id, null, array('ajax'=>true, 'name'=>'', 'type'=>'upload')); 
try {
    $ret = $repo->upload($saveas_filename, $maxbytes);
} catch (moodle_exception $e) {
    print $e->errorcode;
print $saveas_filename. ' uploaded';

The repository_upload looks for the uploaded file in a specific place and this place should be indicated in the javascript call in the upload button (btw, just a standard button, not a submit):

var ret = recorder.sendGongRequest('PostToForm',

Then all that remains is to fetch the file from the draft area and store it in a proper area.

I use the repository_upload because I like to reuse existing code as much as possible. This may or may not be the best way. I'll look into that more thoroughly when I return to finalize the field.

Further references

See also

Necessary updating for Moodle 1.9
Migrating to Moodle 2.0
Moodle plugin database
NanoGong documentation