Note: This page, together with the pages listed in the block on the right, describe the gradebook in Moodle 1.9 onwards. For documentation on the gradebook in Moodle prior to 1.9, see Grades pre-1.9.
Grades pushed by modules
When activity modules produce grades, they use the gradebook public API to push (or send) their grades to the gradebook. These grades are then stored in database tables that are independent of the modules. The grades are still kept in the module database tables, and the gradebook will never access or modify these original grades.
The gradebook, however, provides administrators and teachers with tools for changing the ways in which grades are calculated, aggregated and displayed, as well as means to change the grades manually (a manual edit of a grade automatically locks the grade in the gradebook, so that the module which originally created the grade can no longer update that grade in the gradebook until the grade is unlocked).
Settings affecting grades
Being the smallest unit in the gradebook, the grade is affected by many settings at different levels. Here is a list of these levels, in hierarchical order:
- Site-wide general settings
- Site-wide grade category settings
- Site-wide grade item settings
- Gradebook report settings
- Course settings
- Category settings
- Grade item settings
- Grade settings
Outcomes are specific descriptions of what a student is expected to be able to do or understand at the completion of an activity or course. An activity might have more than one outcome, and each may have a grade against it (usually on a scale).
The gradebook includes a variety of reports, available via the grades link in each course administration block:
- Grader report - The main teacher view of a course gradebook. The "My report preferences" tab in the grader report enables teachers to change how the grader report is displayed.
- Outcomes report
- Overview report
- User report
Symbols to represent ranges of grades may be set as grade letters.
Administrators may control the appearance of the gradebook site-wide by adjusting settings available via the grades link in the site administration block:
- Using Moodle Gradebook forum
- Basic Moodle Gradebook howto
- Gradebook reports
- How to use the grade item settings and grade letters at admin level
- Grade category settings
- How to set up the gradebook
- How to use outcomes in Moodle
- How to export grades from the gradebook
- How to use gradebook site settings and defaults
- How to set up calculations in the gradebook (basic)
- How to set up calculations in the gradebook (advanced)
- How to change the display of grades in the gradebook