This page is about how to add badges to a course or the site and how users can access their badges. For managing badges which have already been added, see Managing badges.
Adding a course badge
- If course badges have been enabled in Administration>Site administration>Badges>Badges settings then a teacher can add badges from Administration>Course administration>Badges>Add a new badge
Add a name and description and upload your badge here.
If you add the teacher name here, it will appear when the badge is displayed. An email address is optional.
Set a date here if the badge will cease to be valid after a certain date. Leave it to never if you want the badge to be permanently displayed.
- When the settings are saved, you are then taken to the Manage badges screen where you can decide the criteria for awarding the badge.
- For course badges, the criteria are: Manual completion by role; course completion and activity completion.
- When selecting Manual completion by role, you can choose the role you wish to award the badge, so for example a teacher could allow a non-editing teacher to award badges in the course.
- For badges to be awarded for course or activity completion, Completion tracking must be enabled in the site and the course.
- Once criteria have been set, you are returned to the Manage badges screen where you must "enable access" for the badge to be available:
For information on the Overview, Edit details, Message and Recipients tab, see Managing badges
"Recipients" tab displays a list of users who have already earned this badges.
- Once all criteria are set and badge creator is happy with badge details and settings, site users can start earning it. For users to be able to earn a badge, a badge creator/administrator needs to enable access to this badge on a badge overview page or "Manage badges" page (as shown on the picture).
- Normally badges are awarded to users automatically based on their actions in the system. The completion criteria of an active badge are re-calculated every time an event such as completion of a course or activity, or updating user profile happens. If a user has completed all necessary requirements they are issued a badge and sent an email notification.
Only badges with enabled access are available to users and can be earned!
Badges that have manual award among their criteria can be issued by one user to another. Users who issue a badge must have "moodle/badges:awardbadge" capability. Site administrators can choose their role when issuing a badge.
Important Note: Currently once a badge has been issued it cannot be revoked. So make sure that you are giving a badge to the correct users.