Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 3.7. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Using Quiz.
This page really needs improving. Please see the page comments for suggestions of what to include, then remove this template when you're done.
This page explains how a quiz is accessed and used by students and teachers. It also offers some hints as to good practice in using the quiz module.
How students take a quiz
- Click on the quiz link on the course homepage and read the information to check you're in the right quiz.
- Click on "Attempt quiz now" button.
- Click on the "Next" button at the bottom of the page to see the next page of questions
- Click on the "flag" in the box next to the question to put a temporary marker on it
- Notice the Quiz navigation block in the upper right corner. You can use it to jump to any question. Question boxes for the current pag are in bold. Flagged questions will have a "red corner" in their box
- To finish the exam,click "Finish attempt" in the navigation block of "Next" on the last page of the exam.
- The "Summary of attempt" page - reviews the questions and alerts you to questions not attempted.
- Click on any question page number or "Return to attempt" to go back to the quiz.
- Click on "Submit all and finish" to have your quiz scored. A warning will pop up telling you you can no longer change your answers.
How students review a quiz
- In the quiz navigation block incorrect answers are RED: partially correct answers are YELLOW and correct answers are GREEN. The flags are still visible:
- In the questions themselves, correct answers will be in green with a check mark. Incorrect answers will be in red with a cross. will have a green check mark next to your correct answer
- According to your teacher's settings, you might get general feedback, specific feedback on each question and/or overall feedback on your final score.
Saving questions and returning later to a quiz
- If you answer a number of questions and then want to complete the quiz at a later time,click "Finish attempt".
- When you return to continue the quiz, Moodle will remember which page you were on and allow you to continue from there, having saved your previous questions.
Retaking a quiz
If your teacher has allowed multiple attempts, when you click on the quiz again you will be informed how many attempts you have remaining along with your previous scores.
How teachers view a quiz
Note: Once a quiz has been attempted, it is not possible to add or delete questions unless previous scores are removed.
- When attempts have been made on the quiz, the teacher can click the quiz name and access the reports by clicking the link "Attempts - (No. of attempts.
- It is then possible to filter the reports according to preference:
- A teacher may also access quiz results by clicking on the quiz name in the Navigation block. This opens up other links, enabling them to view by grade, by correct response, by statistics and by manually graded responses:
- Each individual question may be filtered in score order and individual student quiz responses may be viewed by clicking "Review attempt" next to their name.
Commenting on or regrading responses
- By clicking on the score of an individual question, a teacher may comment on it or override the grade:
Messaging students who haven't completed a quiz
- From your navigation block, click Reports>Course participation
- From the drop down, choose your quiz.
- In Show only, choose "Student" and in Actions, choose "post"
- In the list that appears, tick/check the boxes next to those you wish to message.
- In the bottom dropdown With selected users, choose "send message"
- Effective quiz practices
- How to let teachers share questions between courses
- Quiz results for teachers reviewing an untaken quiz
- Quiz reports once students take a quiz, more tools are available
- Quiz submission email notification
- Friction-less Learning with Quizzes in Moodle by Joseph Thibault
- Online Quizzes and Exams with Moodle - reflections by James Neill