IMS content package
IMS is a body which helps define technical standards for various things, including e-learning material. The IMS Content Packaging specification makes it possible to store chunks of material in a standard format which can be re-used in different systems, without having to convert the material into new formats.
The IMS content package in Moodle 1.6 enables such content packages to be uploaded and included in Moodle courses. There are various options for displaying content in a pop-up window, with a navigation menu or buttons etc. In addition, the resource type supports an optional repository, enabling content packages to be shared between courses.
IMS content package repository
The IMS content package repository enables access to a repository of IMS and SCORM packages within Moodle.
Using the repository will save disk space (and any corresponding backup resources if you copy the filesystem as part of your backup strategy) compared to uploading content packages directly into a course. The repository only needs an unzipped copy of the package, whereas within a course there will be the unzipped copy, plus two zipped copies just taking up space.
Using the repository
The repository is disabled by default. It may be enabled as follows:
- Find repository_config.php in moodle/mod/resource/type/ims and change
$CFG->repositoryactivate = false;to
$CFG->repositoryactivate = true
- Create a folder named ims_repository in the webroot or somewhere underneath your webroot.
$CFG->repository = "C:/public/www/html/ims_repository";to point to this folder on your file system
- If your ims_repository is not located directly in your webroot, edit
$CFG->repositorywebroot = "/ims_repository";to point to the location of your repository.
Content packages should be extracted to the folder ims_repository.
To use a repository package in a course:
- Create/edit an IMS CP resource.
- Click the "Browse repository" button, opening a window listing the packages in ims_repository. If you can't see your content package, check it's in the right directory and has been unzipped.
- Find your package in the list and click Deploy, and you get a chance to preview the resource. Close the window.
- Click the "Browse repository" button again, and then and Choose the package.
- Save your IMS CP resource.
Using Moodle forum discussions: