Admins (short for Administrators) can do anything and go anywhere in the site.
Assigning users the role of admin
Guy Foster To assign a user the role of admin in Moodle 1.7 onwards:
- Access Administration > Users > Permissions > Assign system roles.
- Choose the administrator role to assign.
- Select a user in the potential users list, and use the left-facing arrow button to add it to the existing users list.
Guy Foster Note: Users should only be assigned the role of admin (i.e. a role with the capability moodle/site:doanything set to allow) in the system context.
Creating admins pre-1.7
To create an admin in versions of Moodle prior to 1.7:
- Login as the primary admin user.
- Click on the admin link at the bottom of the site administration block.
- Click on the "Assign admins" link.
- Select any of the users from the right column ('potential admins') of the screen and then click the "<" button.
To remove admin rights, simply follow the instructions above but select the existing admin from the left hand side and click the ">" button instead.
In versions of Moodle prior to 1.7, only the primary admin could create admins or remove admin rights for other users. In Moodle 1.7 onwards there is no primary administrator. However, a duplicate administrator role may be created with slightly fewer capabilities allowed.