Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 3.7. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Participation report.
A participation report for a particular activity can be generated by a manager, teacher or non-editing teacher (or any other user with the capability report/participation:view).
- Generate a list of who has participated in a given activity, and how many times.
- Can be filtered by role, group, and action (View or Post).
- Allow individuals or groups students (e.g. those who have not participated) to be easily messaged.
You can generate a participation report either via Reports in the Actions menu (cog icon) on the course page or the Administration block (Course administration > Reports > Course participation) if using the Classic theme.
The definition of View and Post for the selected activity type will be given on screen.
- Forum View: View Discussion, Search, View Forum, View Subscribers
- Forum Post: Add Discussion, Add Post, Delete Discussion, Delete Post, Move Discussion, Prune Post, Update Post, Subscribe, Unsubscribe
An extremely useful feature of the participation report is the option to send a message to all students who have not completed a certain action. Other options with selected users are to add a note or extend enrolment.
- Messaging should be enabled on the site for the option to send a message to all students to be available.
- If a forum post is moved, the participation report will show incorrect results for the affected forums. For example, take a student who posted in forum A and had their post moved to forum B. In the course participation report the student will still be listed has having made a post in forum A, but will not be listed as having made a post yet in forum B.