Rocket is a three column fixed-width theme for Moodle 2.1+ originally designed to take Moodle themes to a more website focused look and feel. While the design is original, much of the CSS and the icons have come from Saun Daubney's fantastic Aardvark theme and also with support in the forums from Mary Evans
The theme is highly customisable through Moodle's theme settings. You can adjust images, text and colurs all without changing code. The theme also has a function that means that when users log in, courses they are enrolled in will show up in the dropdown 'custom menu' at the top of the screen. As this theme has several advanced functions, this page exists to provide some basic instruction on it's use. Please be sure to target any questions related to this theme in the Theme's forums at moodle.org and bugs to the Moodle Tracker
The aim of this theme was to provide a template that challenged what could be done with theme design. To create a Moodle instance that looked more like a professional standalone website and less like a Moodle instance.
This theme will not suit all audiences because of this. For a full list of contributed themes including Rocket to find one that meets your needs please check the Moodle Plugins database.
Important Note: When making changes to any theme please ensure that Theme Designer Mode is enabled to ensure your changes appear.
As themes are, by nature, a visual medium, these instructions will reference the screenshot listed below. This theme makes strong use of Moodle Theme Settings, Custom Theme settings and [Custom Block] locations.
The only setting to be aware of here is the Custom Menu. This is what generates the dropdown menu in Zone 3 of the screenshot above.
One item however is automatically appended to the Menu if you choose to activate it. This additional item is the "My Courses" addition. This will automatically show a dropdown of courses your users are enrolled in when they are logged in.
please note that if you have not enabled at least one item in the Custom Menu then the "My Courses" dropdown will not appear either.
Custom Theme Settings
This theme makes very strong use of Moodle 2's new Custom Theme settings to enable admins to customise the look and feel of the theme without needing to touch the code.
To access the Custom Settings for this theme go to Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > Rocket in the Settings block.
The available settings are as follows:
- Institution Name - The name of your institution is shown on the frontpage as seen in 'Zone 8' of the screenshot above. This is not the name of your site
- Logo - Change the logo of this theme located in 'Zone 2' by entering the URL to a new one (i.e., http://www.somesite/logo.png). As a reference, the default logo is 272px by 72px. A transparent .png will work best.
- Banner - Change the banner on the frontpage in 'Zone 5' by entering the URL to a new one (i.e., http://www.somesite/banner.png). As a reference, the default banner is 750px by 350px.
- Theme Color - What color should your theme be. This will change mulitple components to produce the color you wish across the moodle site. Examples are 'Zones 1, 7 and 8' as well as heading text's throughout the site
- Theme Trim Color - The theme trim color is used to highlight elements across the site. A simple example is the line across the top of the page. It is also used in certain table headers. Dark works best.
- Menu Color - Change the color of the menu
- Menu Hover Color - Change the color of the menu items when the mouse hovers over them
- Menu Trim Color - Change the color used to trim the edges of the menu
- Copyright Notice - As seen in 'Zone 11' This location is where you can put your copyright notice if you have one.
Custom Block Locations
This theme is the first, as far as I am aware, to use blocks outside of the standard left and right column methodology. There are two additional locations called 'Search/profile' and 'Top Link's.
- The Top Links location is Zone 4 on the screenshot. This is a new Block location that appears on the Homepage Only. Any block may be placed here that you like.
- The Search/Prolfile location is Zone 6 on the screenshot. This location has been specifically designed to take either the Global Search block or the Logged in User block. Both are reformatted by the theme to best suit the location. As this location is small you will find not many other blocks fit here except maybe the HTML block.
Recreating the Demo Homepage layout
This theme is only available for Moodle 2.1 and above. You can download the theme from http://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=theme_rocket