Template:Moodle 2.0It is possible to rate glossary entries, forum posts and database records within Moodle. These ratings are then aggregated to produce a grade for that activity for the student being rated. For example a student's forum posts may be rated by their fellow students with those ratings being averaged and that grade then contributing to the students overall course grade. You can choose whether ratings can be submitted by students and/or by teachers.
From Moodle 2.0 onwards ratings are handled uniformly throughout Moodle so all aggregation methods are available everywhere and the onscreen elements that allow ratings to be submitted are standard throughout.
Here is the process to enable ratings within an activity:
- Go to the activity settings and select the aggregation method you want applied. Average is typically the most useful.
- Choose a scale. The scale you select determines the list of options raters will have to choose from. Choosing a number, 10 for example, means that raters can choose any number from 0 to 10. Custom non-numeric scales can be defined by going to Site Administration -> Grades -> Scales.
- Optionally choose to restrict the submission of ratings to within a date range.
- Save your activity settings.
Once ratings have been enabled within an activity that activity will automatically appear in the gradebook.
Capabilities and roles
Capabilites and roles determine whether a given user can submit ratings, view aggregated ratings or even view the individual ratings that have been submitted.
The relevant capabilities are:
- moodle/rating:view - allows the user to view aggregated ratings made on their own items
- moodle/rating:viewany - allows the user to view aggregated ratings made on other people's items (but not their own)
- moodle/rating:viewall - allows the user to see individual ratings
- moodle/rating:rate - allows the user to rate other people's items
Activity modules may define their own set of capabilities. When these exist the user needs BOTH the core capability and the module capability.
To enable Ajax:
- Check Enable AJAX and click save changes.