Ajax marking block
The AJAX marking block displays all the ungraded work you need to mark in a tree structure of all of the courses you are part of, along with a count of how many there are for each course & assessment item. The main idea is to be able to view and complete all of your marking without leaving the front page.
At its simplest level, e.g. assignments, it shows Course name > Assignment name > Student name, each as expandable nodes in the tree. When the student's name is clicked, a pop-up opens with the work to be graded. Once 'Submit' has been clicked in that window, the pop-up closes and tree updates itself by removing the student's node and altering its total count.
The AJAX bit means that every time you click on the nodes to expand them, the data for the child nodes is fetched in the background without refreshing the whole page. Clicking 'Collapse and refresh' will re-load the whole tree, with an updated count of your marking including anything that was submitted a second or two ago.
Download the zip file here. Copy it to your /blocks/ folder and unzip it there. Then, go to the notifications screen (Front page -> administration block -> notifications) where you should see a message about the tables having been set up correctly.
Configuring the display of each individual assessment item
The block can be set to show or hide each individual assessment item, or show only the assessments by students in certain groups. Clicking on 'configure' will bring up an additional tree, which shows only the courses and names of the assessment items. When you click on one of the assessments, you will be faced with a number of options on the right:
- Show - the default state, where you will see all students' work
- Show by group - a set of checkboxes will appear with the names of the current groups for that course. You choose which you want to see and group nodes will then be shown between the assessment and student nodes in the main block. The nodes for that assessment will then look like this: Course -> Assessment -> Group -> Submission
- Hide - do not display any submissions for this assessment item.
The counting of unmarked submissions respects these choices and they are specific to the user who created them. If you are an admin and wish to set the preferences for others, use the 'login as' function to do so.
- Forum (only if ratings are on)
- Quiz (essay questions only)