This roadmap collects the best information about upcoming features in Moodle. It is not 100% certain - features may change according to available funding and developers.
Version 1.6 - Beta expected late February 2006
- Unicode - Moodle.com, Eloy Lafuente and Koen Roggemans
- Moodle is now 100% Unicode, which means any language can be mixed together and an end to a number of problems that different character sets caused us.
- Documentation - Moodle.com and Helen Foster
- A new one-stop wiki site for ALL Moodle documentation, including links from Moodle itself
- Database - Moodle.com
- A new activity module that allows collaborative collection of structured data, useful for many things!
- LAMS - LAMS Foundation
- Integrated via a course format and an activity module
- Blogs - Daryl Hawes and Moodle.com
- Allows reflection on an ongoing basis. Entries are marked and can be viewed by user, course, group, site etc. Contains new keyword support.
- Site stats - Catalyst
- Provides statistics at a higher level than before (by course etc.)
- My Moodle - Catalyst
- A dashboard interface that allows an overview for each user of all their courses etc.
- Hive integration - Moodle.com and Harvest Road
- This initial integration with Hive allows teachers to upload, browse, search and select Resources within the external repository.
- Multiple groups - Moodle.com and Arab Open University
- Users can be part of multiple groups within a course
- IMS resource - Eloy Lafuente and Alton College
- Supports the loading of any content package as a resource, plus special support for a repository of NLN materials
- Learning Design export - Moodle.com and Open University of The Netherlands
- We plan to have a very simple export for any Moodle course into IMS LD format, as a proof of concept and to help the community start learning about IMS LD.
- An interactive Moodle theme
Version 2.0 - Expected end of 2006
- IMS Learning Design - Moodle.com
- Support for importing/exporting LD, converting Moodle activities and sequences of activities into a standard format for sharing, and importing standard sequences into Moodle courses
- Conditional activities - Moodle.com
- Allowing dependencies and forced paths through the content
- Roles - Moodle.com
- This new system will allow the creation of custom roles at site, course and activity level
- Metadata - Moodle.com
- Build on the keywords in 1.6 to provide metadata for all activities and courses, linkable to standard lists of metadata such as State-based learning outomes and curricula
- Accessibility - Moodle.com
- Full compliance with all major accessibility standards
- Providing remote control and access of Moodle services by other systems, as well as sharing of information between Moodle sites with trust relationships.
- Repository API - Moodle.com
- Abstract all file operations to an API that allows plugins for different external repositories
- API for integrating external systems for managing student information
- Community hub - Moodle.com
- Leverage above improvements into a system to network Moodles together
- Groups can also be defined at the site level, and activities can be assigned to course groups
- Interface Moodle activities and repositories to help produce portfolios for internal assessment AND external publication