Adding a book
- A teacher can add a book by choosing it from the "Add an activity or resource" link (or, if not present, the "Add a resource" drop down menu in course.
Give your book a name and a summary
Tell your students what your book is called and provide a brief description of its content. Keep in mind that the name you give your book will become the text for the link to it on your main course page. This is true of all the activities you create in Moodle.
Indicate how you want chapters numbered
There are several predefined numbering types:
- None - chapter and subchapter titles are not formatted at all, use if you want to define special numbering styles. For example letters: in chapter title type "A First Chapter", "A.1 Some Subchapter",...
- Numbers - chapters and subchapters are numbered (1, 1.1, 1.2, 2, ...)
- Bullets - subchapters are indented and displayed with bullets.
- Indented - subchapters are indented.
Note that the width of the table of contents is set by the administrator of your site.
Enable or disable printing
Disabling printing means hiding the print icons. (The print option is one of this resource's most popular features, so you might not want to disable it.)
Allow or disallow custom titles
If you disallow custom titles, the chapter title (the one that appears on the table of contents) will appear as a header at the top of your content. If you enable custom titles, you will be able to create a title different from the one that appears in the ToC or display no title at all. If you enable custom titles, you will need to enter the chapter title as part of the page content.
Add a chapter
Titles of chapters appear as links in the table of contents to the left of your content. Keep your titles short.
View work to date
So far, you see the table of contents on the left and the content on the right. Note the print icons near the top.
To add another chapter, click on the red cross in the Table of Contents or first chapter. The new chapter will be inserted directly after the chapter whose title is on the same line as the red cross you click.
Add a sub chapter
Note that the sub chapter box is checked. A chapter may have many sub chapters, but sub chapters cannot have subchapters. In order to keep this resource simple, you are limted to two levels.
You now see a chapter and a sub chapter. Because we did not elect to number chapters, the fact that the second chapter is a sub chapter cannot be seen in the table of contents. Note that you do, however, see this in the title above the content.
By the way, the items in the table of contents are neither numbered nor are they indented only because that is the option we chose when setting up the book. We can always go back and change that.
To import chapters
- Create a zip file of HTML files and optional multimedia files and folders. If you wish to upload subchapters, add "_sub" to the end of HTML file or folder names.
- Go to Settings > Book administration > Import chapter
- Choose whether each HTML file or folder represents one chapter
- Browse for and select the zip file
- Click the import button
Note: Relative file links are converted to absolute chapter links. Images, Flash and Java are relinked too. Remember to upload images and multimedia files as well as HTML files.