This page really needs improving. Please see the page comments for suggestions of what to include, then remove this template when you're done.
Moodle has no built-in tools for speech messaging or audioconferencing. However, there are various plugins which allow audio conferencing and direct recording into Moodle's text editor. This page will highlight some of the freely available options:
- Big Blue Button is a popular audio/video conferening tool available from the plugins database. It is an open source project Big Blue Button which supports real-time sharing of slides (including whiteboard), audio, video, chat, and desktops. It also record lectures for later playback.
Direct recording into Moodle
- Poodll is an open source project which allows you to record audio into forums, pages, anywhere with a text editor. Recordings are done via the Poodll server hosted by Amazon and transferred to your Moodle site. The Poodll set of tools (filter, assignment 2.3 type, repository, question type) is available from the plugins database. It is simple to install and doesn't require any particular PHP expertise.
- Mediacapture is a Moodle repository plugin available from the plugins database to record audio/video content using the filepicker. The plugin currently comes with 3 recorders built in - Nanogong (Java Audio recorder), Red5Recorder (Flash Red5 Video recorder) and Flash Audio Recorder. (You don't need to have a Red5video recorder for the audio to work) Here is a screencast of the Media capture repository
- Online audio recorder (Flash). This is a contributed plugin available here: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=assignment_onlineaudio/. It is an assignment type and uses Flash (10.1+) to allow students to record audio from a microphone; it then converts the file to MP3 format and upload it to Moodle via HTTP POST. Here is a blog post review
- Nanogong is a java applet that allows recording, playback and saving to Moodle's text editor. It is available either as a plugin for the text editor or as a student activity.
- The Horizon Wimba company provides a subscription-based service providing voice tools for use in VLEs. Wimba Voice Tools module has been created in Wimba to integrate into Moodle.
- List of audio tools in Audio in Moodle