Scales may be used in Forums, Glossaries (for rating) and Assignments (for grading). Custom scales can be created where you would like to assign non-numerical or non-numerically assigned lettered grades.
- The interface for creating scales is accessed by clicking the "Scales" link in any course Administration block.
- Scales may be created for individual courses by Teachers with editing rights or Administrators.
- Administrators may create site-wide scales by "promoting" a scale created for a course. To achieve this, add a new scale, then use the move down arrow to move the scale from custom scales to standard scales (i.e. site-wide).
Creating a scale
If you choose to Add a new scale from the Scales administration menu, you can create a custom scale for your course.
- A recognisable name for your scale that will identify it among other scales.
- Define the options for your scale using comma separated options. For example if you would like two options in your scale (complete and incomplete) type: incomplete, complete. You can use as many options here as you require. Other examples could include a four option scale refer, pass, merit, distinction or Excellent, Average, Acceptable, Hesitant (Fail) depending on your curriculum/course needs.
- Explain the methodology and/or purpose of this grading scale if necessary.
Using a custom scale
When you create a new graded or rated activity, you should find the name of your scale in the drop-down Grade: option. When you mark the activity you will now be given the options defined in your scale rather than the standard numerical values.