The Groups administration page, allows you to assign and maintain teachers and students in course groups. There are three columns:
- People in the course - both assigned and unassigned participants.
- Groups - A list of groups available for this course.
- Members of selected group - When you select a group this column will display the members of that group
Underneath each column are the options for that column.
To create new groups, type the group name in the text box and click the adjacent Add new group button. You can add a description to this group using the Edit group settings button.
To add a particpant(s) to a group you need to select their name in the first column (use shift or ctrl for multiple selections), select the group you wish to add them to from the centre column, and then click the Add selected to group -> button.
To remove participants from a group, select the appropriate group to view members, select the participants to remove and click the Remove selected members button.
Template:Moodle 1.6 Participants may be added to more than one group in Moodle 1.6.
The group mode can be defined at two levels:
- Course level - the group mode defined at the course level is the default mode for all activities defined within that course. This is determined in the course settings
- Activity level - each activity that supports groups can also have its own group mode defined. If the course setting "Force group mode" is set to "Yes" then the option to define the group mode for individual activities is not available i.e. there is no Groups icon next to activities on the course page.
There are three group modes:
- No groups
- There are no sub groups, everyone is part of one big community.
- Separate groups
- Each group can only see their own group, others are invisible.
- Visible groups
- Each group works in their own group, but can also see other groups.