Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 3.3. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle is probably available here: Wiki settings.
Adding a wiki
- With the editing turned on, in the section you wish to add your wiki, click the "Add an activity or resource" link (or, if not present, the "Add an activity" drop down menu )and choose Wiki.
- This will take you to the wiki settings page titled "Adding a new wiki". All settings may expanded by clicking the "Expand all" link top right.
- In an existing wiki, the wiki settings can be found by clicking the Edit dropdown. With the Boost theme, additional options are available by clicking on the wiki and then clicking the gear menu.
- Give your wiki a name and description. (The description may or may not be compulsory depending on your admin's settings.) Check the box if you want the description to appear on the course page.
- Choose between "Individual wiki" where each student gets their own, or "Collaborative wiki" where students work together on a single wiki. (Group mode may also be used along with a collaborative wiki.)
First page name
- The name you add here will form the first page of your new wiki. It is a required field and once a name has been entered,it can't be changed.
- Set the default type of editing your wiki will use.If you are at all unsure, select HTML. Chooose from:
- HTML - editing using the normal text editor such as Atto
- Creole - a popular wiki editing language.
- NWiki - a wiki editing language similar to Mediawiki.
- Check "Force format" if you want to control the format your learners will use.
Locally assigned roles
Selected users can be given additional roles in the wiki activity from the Locally assigned roles link from the gear menu in the wiki (Boost theme) or, for other themes, from Administration> Wiki administration > Locally assigned roles.
Role permissions for the activity can be changed from the Permissions link in the gear menu within the wiki (Boost theme) or, for other themes from Administration>Wiki administration>Permissions.