- 1 Parts of a course homepage
- 2 To edit a course section
- 3 To move a course section
- 4 To delete a course section
- 5 To link course sections
- 6 Blocks
- 7 Activities and resources
- 8 Editing elements on your course homepage
- 9 Tips and tricks
- 10 Course homepage capabilities
Parts of a course homepage
A Moodle course can look very different according to the theme and course format (layout). Here are blank course page using the Boost theme (new in 3.2) and the established 'Clean' theme, both with standard weekly format:
Normally visible on all pages, this block helps you find your way around the course and site.
Again, normally visible on all pages, this block gives different levels of access to teachers and students.
Here is where the learning materials are displayed. This element may be arranged in one or multiple weeks, topics, forums or other (non-standard) layouts.
Which blocks you see depend on what the administrator has selected and what you as teacher choose to add. 5. Navigation drawer
6. Gear menu
This replaces the course administration settings in the Boost theme.
To edit a course section
- Turn editing on
- Click the pencil icon (1 in screenshot below) to quickly rename the section
- Click the Edit menu (2 in screenshot below) to edit the description and other settings.
If Restrict access is enabled for the site, access to the section (including all activities and resources within it) may be restricted.
To move a course section
- Turn editing on
- Click the up/down arrow or the crosshairs icon to move the section
- Drag the section to where you want to position it and let go
Note: The ability to move course sections is controlled by the capability moodle/course:movesections, which is allowed for the default role of teacher.
To delete a course section
With the editing turned on, click the 'Edit' link to the right of the course section you wish to delete and then, from the menu that displays, click 'X Delete'. You will be prompted to confirm your wish to delete the section and its contents. Note that all activities inside the section and their user data will also be deleted. This operation cannot be reversed.
An admin setting Always link course sections can be enabled from Site administration > Appearance > Navigation and will link course sections so that when a course section name is clicked in the navigation block or the central content area, it will go directly to that section.
Depending on the theme, blocks are displayed in the right and/or left columns of the course page. The Boost theme only displays blocks on the right, and when using the Moodle Mobile app blocks do not display at all.
To add a block to the course page
- Turn on the editing from the gear menu of the button top right depending on your theme.
- Select a block from the "Add block" link, either at the bottom of the nav drawer on the left or a drop down menu usually on the right.
To move a block
- Ensure editing is turned on then click onto the block title until the crosshair icon appears
- While keeping the block selected, drag it to where you want to position it and let go.
- Click on the up/down arrow
- Click on the place holder (a zone with a dashed border) where you want the block to appear.
Activities and resources
To add an activity or resource to the course
- Turn on the editing either from the gear menu or the button top right, depending on your theme.
- Click 'Add an activity or resource' to open the new activity chooser. Select an activity or resource then click the Add button, or simply double-click on the activity or resource name.
Find out more about the activity chooser in the screencast What is the activity chooser?
If desired, the activity chooser can be switched off via Administration > Course administration > Activity chooser off. Activities and resources can then be added using dropdown menus. (The setting appears only when editing is turned on.)
Alternatively, certain resources and activities may be added using drag and drop:
- To add a file, simply drag and drop it onto the course section where you'd like it to appear
- To add a folder of files, simply zip the folder then drag and drop it onto the course section where you'd like it to appear, answer 'Unzip files and create folder' to the popup dialogue, then click the upload button
- To add a SCORM package, simply drag and drop it onto the course section where you'd like it to appear, answer 'Add a SCORM package' to the popup dialogue, then click the upload button
Editing elements on your course homepage
With the editing turned on, activities, resources and blocks will have icons performing different functions such as edit/move/copy/delete/hide.
Note:' Your theme may have icons different from these below:
- - this icon groups actions together for easier editing on smaller screens. Click to reveal the options.
- - the move icon allows you to move items or sections by dragging and dropping. (If you have many activities to scroll through while moving, see the Tips and Tricks section below for a useful suggestion.)
- - the move here icon appears when moving a course element without Ajax. Click into the box to re-locate your item.
- - the up/down arrows allow you to move course sections up or down and appear if you do not have Ajax enabled.
Tips and tricks
Moving items in a course with many activities
If you click and drag an activity or resource on a course page which has many items, this might cause you difficulties with "scroll of death" issues. Instead of dragging the activity to move it, click on it. It will display a list of all the items on your page and you just need to click to select where on the course page you want the item to be moved to.
- Make your course home page look more like a webpage - see Course FAQ
- Activity and resource descriptions can be displayed on the course page just below the link to the activity or resource by clicking the 'Display description on course page' checkbox in the activity or resource settings.