Random assignment is an attempt to handle larger classes of students. For this purpose, we generate a series of html or pdf files with the same structure but different numbers. In addition, we generate corresponding files with hints to solutions for teachers.
Basic functionality of the module
- Each student gets one file from a given directory randomly.
- If the file has extension htm or html, it will be shown directly at the assignment page. Otherwise, only a link to file will be shown.
- Teacher specifies a directory containing one or more files for assignments and (optionally) a directory with solutions
- In the assignment feedback page, teacher sees the assignment file and optionally the solution file as well.
The following structure of directories must be created in the course area
/moddata/random /moddata/random/assignment /moddata/random/solution
The assignments and solutions are then stored in subdirectories of these directories with numerical names, for example
We can for example have
/moddata/random/assignment/10/file1.html /moddata/random/assignment/10/otherfile.html /moddata/random/assignment/10/file2.pdf /moddata/random/assignment/10/file-without-solution.doc
and (if needed)
/moddata/random/solution/20/file1.html /moddata/random/solution/20/otherfile.html /moddata/random/solution/20/file2.pdf
- Copy directory random/ to moodle/mod/assignment/type/
- Add the content of the language file lang/en_utf8/random_assignment.php to moodle/lang/en_utf8/assignment.php
- Optionally, for better security, add the content in file.php (file.part.php) regarding random assignment to the corresponding place in moodle/file.php (otherwise, students can guess the solution directory name and then they can read the solution directly from server). Only if there are solutions.
Preparation for assignments
- In the files area check whether directory 'moddata' exists. If not, create it.
- In the directory moddata, create directory 'random'.
- In the directory random, create two directories: 'assignment' and 'solution'.
Creation of an assignment
- Create a directory with numerical name in directory 'assignment'. Numerical name can be for example 1, 2, 10, 300, ...
- Copy files with assignments to this directory.
- Optionally, create a directory in directory 'solution' with numerical name and copy the files with the same names as before. These contain solutions or hints to solutions for teachers.
- Create activity: random assignment and specify directories for assignments and solutions.
The activity has been designed and built with the contributions of the following people:
- Lubos Cirka - Slovak Technical University in Bratislava > development
- Miroslav Fikar - Slovak Technical University in Bratislava > design concept