Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 3.1. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle is probably available here: Question bank.
- Managing questions
- Question behaviours
- Question types
- Simple Calculated
- Drag and drop into text
- Drag and drop markers
- Drag and drop onto image
- Calculated Multichoice
- Embedded Answers (Cloze)
- Multiple Choice
- Random Short Answer Matching
- Select missing words
- Third-party question types
- Questions FAQ
This feature allows a teacher to create, preview, and edit questions in a course question bank, a database of questions. These questions can then be used in Quizzes and through the export process in a Lesson. The teacher enters the question bank by creating or editing a quiz activity or through the Administration block
Select a category
Questions are organised into categories. Initially each course has only one category called "Default". It is good practice to create more categories to organize your questions. You can create a hierarchy of categories because you can create subcategories inside parent categories. To add or edit categories click on the "Categories" tab.
The question editing screen shows the questions from the currently selected category. You choose this category from the Category: drop-down menu. Using the tick box below that menu you determine whether to also show the questions from all subcategories.
Add a new question
- From the Questions: drop-down menu, select a category you want to add a question to.
- The area below the category will then display the question creation block.
- Select the question type you want to create from the Create new question drop-down menu.
- Fill in the form for the question type you are creating.
- Click Save Changes at the bottom of the form.
Each question type has its own form and has its own options.
Preview, Edit, Delete, and Move
The first column in the list of questions contains a number of icons and a selection box.
Clicking on the Preview icon will open a preview window in which you can test the question. The Edit icon allows you to edit the question via the same form that you used to create it. The Delete icon deletes the question, provided it is not already in use in some activity. The selection box allows you to select a subset of questions that you can then move to another category using the controls below the list of questions.
Tips and tricks
- Put the answer into the question name so you can quickly see the answers when students are asking for answers. This is especially useful if you're dealing with large sets of questions! (No option yet for viewing category or answer of question in the list of questions.)
- Export questions in GIFT or Moodle XML formats, then import them into a Lesson. (Future versions of Moodle will make Question bank available to both Lesson and Quiz activities.)
- Using Moodle Sharing Question Databases forum discussion