Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 3.1. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle is probably available here: Portfolios.
Please refer to these notes before editing this page.
Portfolios in Moodle 2.0 onwards enable data, such as forum posts or assignment submissions, to be exported to external systems.
Portfolios in Moodle 2.0 video:
Enabling the use of portfolios is a 2-step process for an administrator:
- Check the enableportfolios box in Site Administration > Advanced features
- Enable selected portfolio plugins in Site Administration > Plugins > Portfolios > Manage portfolios
Portfolio plugins available in Moodle 2.0 include:
- Box.net internet storage
- File download
- Flickr online photo management system
- Google Docs
- Mahara ePortfolio
- When portfolios are enabled, forum posts and other exportable data (see below) have a save link beside them.
- User clicks one of these buttons.
- User is able to choose from a list of configured portfolios (this step will be skipped if there's only one).
- User may be asked to define the export format of the captured content e.g. HTML, images and text.
- User may be asked to define some metadata to go with the captured content (some will be generated automatically).
- The content and metadata is COPIED to the external portfolio system.
- User has the option to return to the page they were previously viewing or visit the their portfolio (certain portfolios only).
Possible export formats include
- LEAP2A, a specification for e-portfolio portability
Additional formats such as PDF can be added.
- Assignment submissions - single and multiple file uploads
- Chat sessions
- Database activity module entries (##export## tag may be added to list and single templates)
- Database activities
- Forum posts
- Glossary entries