Moodle Mobile FAQ
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 3.1. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle is probably available here: Moodle Mobile FAQ.
- 1 Students
- 2 Teachers
- 3 Administrators
- 3.1 I can't get the app to work. What can I do?
- 3.2 I cannot access with old users, but I can with recently created ones!
- 3.3 I can't view the courses tab as an administrator
- 3.4 My Moodle site uses a SSO auth method (Shibboleth, CAS, Google OAuth, etc) and the app is not working
- 3.5 Error messages
- 3.5.1 'Cannot connect: Verify that you have typed correctly the URL and that your site uses Moodle 2.4 or later'
- 3.5.2 'We lost connection; you need to reconnect. Your token is now invalid.' on my custom version of Moodle Mobile
- 3.5.3 'No permission to create web service token for the service local_mobile' when attempting to log in as an admin
- 3.5.4 'Invalid response value detected' when accessing the site
- 3.5.5 'A required parameter (username) was missing'
- 3.6 I think I found a bug with the app. What do I do?
- 4 Any further questions?
How can I get the Moodle Mobile app?
The Moodle Mobile app is available for free from Google Play and the Apple Store. See Moodle Mobile downloads for links. You can also install the app directly from your mobile device by searching for 'Moodle Mobile' with author/owner 'Moodle Pty Ltd'.
I can't get the app to work. What do I do?
The Moodle Mobile app will ONLY work with Moodle sites that have been set up to allow it. Please talk to your Moodle administrator if you have any problems connecting.
What permissions does the app require?
The app requires the following permissions:
- Record audio - for uploading to your Moodle site
- Read and modify the contents of your SD card - for content to be downloaded to your SD Card for offline access.
- Network access - to be able to connect with your Moodle site and check if you are connected, and if not to switch to offline mode.
- Run at startup - to receive local notifications even when the app is running in the background.
- Prevent phone from sleeping - to receive push notifications anytime.
How can I enable videos in my course to be downloaded?
See the section 'Media download for offline usage' in Creating Moodle Mobile friendly courses.
Which course format is it best to use?
Topics or weekly course format is best suited to mobile devices.
Add YouTube links as a URL resource.
I can't get the app to work. What can I do?
Assuming you have enabled mobile services on your site, please check:
- If your site uses an SSL certificate, it must be a trusted certificate, not self-signed. Please use this tool or a similar one to check that your certificate is fine: SSL Checker. All the checks must be ok, including the "Certificate Chain Complete". Otherwise the app might work on iOS but not on Android.
- Debugging is disabled (in Site administration > Development > Debugging)
- The ADOdb debug option is disabled if you are using the external database auth or enrolment plugin (in Plugins > Authentication > External database and in Plugins > Enrolment > External database).
If you still have a problem, please post in the Moodle for mobile forum.
I cannot access with old users, but I can with recently created ones!
Please, do a "Purge all caches" via the Moodle administration settings, this will solve the problem.
I can't view the courses tab as an administrator
The Moodle Mobile app only displays courses you are enrolled in. If you want to view a course as an admin, you need to enrol in it.
My Moodle site uses a SSO auth method (Shibboleth, CAS, Google OAuth, etc) and the app is not working
You must install the Moodle Mobile additional features plugin.
'Cannot connect: Verify that you have typed correctly the URL and that your site uses Moodle 2.4 or later'
- Mobile services are enabled for the site.
- The user is entering the correct URL for the site (see FAQ above)
- For https sites, the certificate is valid (see FAQ above)
'We lost connection; you need to reconnect. Your token is now invalid.' on my custom version of Moodle Mobile
- You have followed all the steps listed in Moodle Mobile Developing a plugin tutorial
- You have enabled the moodle/webservice:createtoken capability for the authenticated user
'No permission to create web service token for the service local_mobile' when attempting to log in as an admin
You need to create a token for the admin account (only) as follows:
- Go to Site administration > Plugins > Web services > Manage tokens
- Click Add
- Enter the admin username and select 'Moodle Mobile additional features service' (i.e. do NOT leave it as 'Moodle Mobile web service')
- Click the 'Save changes' button.
'Invalid response value detected' when accessing the site
The user quota global setting should be an integer. For more details, see the discussion How to enable Moodle Mobile App for all accounts.
'A required parameter (username) was missing'
This may happen if your site implements HTTP redirects; the request is redirected by the browser not passing the POST parameters.
I think I found a bug with the app. What do I do?
- Log in to the Moodle Mobile tracker (you'll need to create a tracker account if you've not done so previously)
- Check whether the issue has already been reported by doing a search
- If not, report the bug by clicking the 'Create Issue' link at the top right of the page, selecting 'Moodle Mobile' as the project
- Add a detailed description, then click the Create button
- Attach the following files to the issue by selecting 'Attach Files' in the 'More actions' dropdown menu:
- 'Device information' - this can be found in the app (Settings -> Development -> Device info, you can send yourself this information by email using the email button at the bottom)
- App Log (Settings -> Development -> Show Log, again you can send yourself this information by email)
Any further questions?
Please post in the Moodle for mobile forum on moodle.org.