External tool FAQ
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 3.1. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle is probably available here: External tool FAQ.
What is the External tool?
The external tool is an activity module supporting LTI (Learning Tools Interoperability). It is similar to SCORM as a standard for educational objects, but instead of being a package of content that is uploaded to Moodle, LTI is a way of integrating the functionality provided by another system into your course.
What version of LTI is supported by the external tool?
In Moodle 2.8 onwards, the external tool supports LTI 2.0. The external tool in Moodle 3.0 includes support for the LTI Memberships service.
- External tool (LTI) forum on moodle.org
- Wordpress and LTI tutorial by Chris Kenniburg
- IMS LTI demo by Gavin Henrick
- Moodle 2.2 will support connecting to IMS LTI tools blog post by Gavin Henrick
- Video explaining LTI (Learning Tools Interoperability) from Charles Severance
- Adding LTI 2.0 support forum discussion