Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 3.1. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle is probably available here: Blocks FAQ.
How do I set the default block layout for new courses?
An alternative method is to edit config.php. See Block layout for more details.
How do I hide front page blocks from non-logged-in users?
- Click the "Turn editing on" button at the top-right of the front page. (You need to be logged in as an administrator.)
- Access the assign roles page via the assign roles icon (a face and mask) in the header of the block to be hidden.
- Click the "Override permissions" tab.
- Select the guest role.
- Set the capability moodle/block:view to prevent.
- Click the "Save changes" button.
How do I make a front page block visible to teachers but not students?
In Moodle 1.9 it is possible to control who sees block on the front page. The following applies to any specified group of people, not just teachers and students.
- Ensure you have hidden your block from non-logged in users as above
- In site administration>users>permissions>define roles, create a new role such as "front page block viewer"
- Click the "Turn editing on" button on your front page
- Click the "assign roles " icon on your block.
- Click the blue words of your new role. They link to the assign roles page. Choose who you want to allow to see this block (such as your teachers) by moving them from the right hand box to the left.
- Click the "Override permissions" tab
- For your new role, press the "allow" button to allow them to view this block
- For the authenticated user, press the "prevent" button to prevent them seeing this block
- Click the "Save changes"button.
- Using Moodle Blocks forum