The Safe Exam Browser can work with Moodle to control what a student can do when in Moodle. To use it, it must be enabled in Settings > Site administration > Development > Experimental > Experimental settings. This adds the choice 'Require Safe Exam Browser' to the 'Browser security' field on the quiz settings form.
Safe Exam Browser is a customised web browser that must be downloaded and installed on the computer that the student uses to attempt the quiz. The restrictions placed on students are similar to those in pop-up window case, but because Safe Exam Browser is software running on the student's computer, it can do a much more effective job of restricting their actions. If you select this option:
- Students will only be able to attempt the quiz if they are using Safe Exam Browser.
- The browser window will be fullscreen (without any navigation elements).
- The window cannot be closed until the test is submitted.
- Shortcuts keys such as Win, Ctrl+Alt+Del, Alt+F4, F1, Ctrl+P, Printscreen, are disabled.
- Copy and paste, and the context menu, are disabled.
- Switching to other applications is disabled.
- Surfing to other web sites is prohibited.
- MDL-19145 Moodle extension for Safe Exam Browser tracker issue
- Using Moodle New open source online-exam software available (with moodle-extension) forum discussion