Essay question type
About the essay question type
The essay question type is intended for short answers of a paragraph or two, that one often finds on exams. For longer essays, text or file uploads in an Assignment is usually the better choice.
Essay questions are created in the same way as other quiz question types. The difference is that essay questions have to be marked manually, and the student will not get a final grade until the teacher has marked their essay.
Creating an essay question
- If you haven't yet made a quiz, access the Question bank from Course administration>Question bank and click the button 'Create a new question', choosing 'Essay'.
- If you have made a quiz, access the Edit quiz screen and from the Add drop down, choose 'Add a new question', choosing 'Essay'.
- Give the question a descriptive name - this allows you to identify it in the Question bank.
- Enter the question in the 'Question text' field. This will be the title of and information about the essay you wish them to write.
- Set the 'default mark' and any 'General Feedback' if required. This is text that appears to the student once you have graded their essay.
- 'Response format' allows you to choose what is available for the students when typing their essays, for example the regular WYSIWYG editor with or without the option to upload files, or a a plain text editor (with no formatting.) No inline text means they cannot type any text. You cannot select this if you don't allow attachments, as the students will have nothing to submit. If you have programming students, they may require plain text with monospaced font for their code.
- 'Require text' allows you to decide whether or not students must add text into the text editor when they do the question. If you only want them to upload a word-processed file as an essay, then you can set this to 'Text input is optional'.
It is possible for a teacher to create a template to scaffold the student's answer in order to give them extra support. The template is then reproduced in the text editor when the student starts to answer the question. See Youtube video Essay scaffold with the Moodle quiz It is also possible to include grading information for teachers marking the essay to refer to as they assess the essays:
The essay question will not be assigned a grade until it has been reviewed by a teacher and manually graded. Until that happens, the student's grade will be 0.
To grade a student's answer in a quiz, go to Administration> Quiz administration>Results>Manual grading in your course.
When manually grading an essay question, the grader is able to enter a custom comment in response to the essay and assign a score for the essay.
- Grading essay questions forum discussion