Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.9. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Flax module.
Flax helps automate the production and delivery of practice exercises for learning English. You, the teacher, can easily create exercises from the textual content of digital libraries. You can also create your own digital library collections.
The Flax module is a contributed activity module released for Moodle 1.9.x.
- Scrambled Sentences exercises - This exercise allows the user to move highlighted words into the correct position within a paragraph.
- Word Guessing exercises - This exercise allows the user to type missing words into the correct place within a paragraph.
- Predicting Words and Phrases exercises - This exercise lets students brainstorm words and phrases pertinent to a particular topic.
- Exercise name
- Design exercise
- Manage my FLAX collections
- Maximum grade
All FLAX exercises can be used in Practice mode or Graded mode, as specified in the Maximum Grade part of the Moodle form that you see when you select Add a FLAX language learning exercise. In "Practice mode" Scrambled Sentences exercises (like the ones given above) students can click Check answer to see which words they have got right and Next question to go to the next sentence. In "Graded mode" there is just a single button: Check answer and go to next question.
The FLAX server
FLAX operates within Moodle but communicates with an external digital library server. The FLAX project in New Zealand has arranged for a demo server to be available to all Moodle users on a trial basis. The server is open source code that can be easily downloaded and installed. It runs on Linux, Windows, and Mac. You specify the server address when you install the Moodle FLAX module.
Building your own digital library collection
FLAX is distributed with a few standard digital library collections. All the exercises above used the Best of Password. When you create an exercise, you choose the collection it is based on and the exercise type.
- moodle.org discussion link to come! - discuss the module here
- cvs repository link to come! - browse and download the code
- module and plugin dbase link to come - Flax Module entry at moodle.org