Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.8. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Using Wiki.
- This page is for documentation on how to use the wiki activity i.e. View, Edit, Links, History and is redirected from mod/wiki/view, a help page.
Adding a wiki page
There are several ways to add a new wiki page. In later versions of Moodle, the course participant's privileges can effect adding or editing wiki pages. First you will create a link to a page that does not exist, then the wiki will create the blank page which someone can edit.
From a Wiki page
This is the easiest way to add a page (or the first one that worked for me!). Participants in a Wiki can create a new page by editing an existing Wiki page and adding a Wiki link that points to the page they want to create. A Wiki link is simply any character string enclosed in square brackets. The string is converted to a link by the following process:
- Click the Edit tab on the front page of the Wiki
- In the edit box type the title of the new page that you want to create. Enclose the title text in square brackets. Like this:
- Click Save.
- The page you have just edited will now be displayed. The words "My First Added Page" will be displayed with a question mark link immediately after it and may look like:
- Click on the "?" and you will be taken to an edit screen for a new page called:- "My First Added Page"
- Edit this new page with text as you will, and then click Save. You just created a new wiki linkable page.
- Want to check the link by going back to the original Wiki page?
- Click on the page link under "referring links" at the bottom of the new page in view mode.
- Another way is to click the - Choose Wiki Links - box, and then, from the drop down menu, select Site map. Click on the original page displayed on the screen. The words "My First Added Page" will have now become a link to your new page, a Wiki link.
Add by initial wiki creation
When the teacher selects Wiki from the Add an Activity pull down menus in a course, they will be asked to create the first page.
Add by using search
In some versions of Moodle (not in 1.8 standard), any participant (with correct privileges) of an existing wiki can enter the name of the page they would like to create in the Search box on a wiki page. For example they might enter the name "Roses".
- If the page already exists
- they will be taken to the page "Roses"
- If the page does not exist, they will see:
- There is no page titled "Roses"
- They can create this page by clicking on the "create this page" link
- and begin editing the new page called "Roses"
Editing a wiki page
Editing the standard Moodle wiki is simple
- Click on the edit tag at the top of the wiki page
- Edit the text
- Then save the page, or preview the page before saving
- Remember that MoodleDocs is a different(more robust and complicated) kind of wiki than the standard Moodle wiki. Many MoodleDoc or WikiMedia wiki tags (See Help:Editing) may not work in the standard Moodle wiki in versions 1.8 and earlier.
The standard help file gives the basics of editing in ErfurtWiki. See Moodle Help Docs on How to wiki
Wiki search ignores hyperlinks so it is wise to add a "Keywords:" line which contains the words of the the page title separated by commas, and any other entries that you wish to be found by the search.