Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.8. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Using Wiki.
A useful way of to start a wiki, is to think of the front page as a structured table of contents. Essentially a wiki is organized by its links. First you will create a link to a page that does not exist, then the wiki will create the blank page which someone can edit.
- Click the edit tab on the front page of the wiki ("Group" in our example)
- We added a catagory, "How to create a new page" in our example and it is not linked
- Type the desired page title in square brackets, for example [Image:Wiki_bracket_surds.JPG]]
- Save the page
The question mark after "Surds" is a hyperlink to the new empty page
- Click on the question mark
- Add content to the new page and save it.
- Now our front page called group has a hyperlink "Surds" and no question mark
- What is a CamelCase notation? Your very first CamelCase notation you will create will look like: [Create wiki page]. Anything inside the square brackets is the page name. When this is placed on the first wiki page, a "?" that is a link appears. Clicking on the link in this example will take us to a new blank page called "Create wiki page".
- CamelCase notation allows pages to be linked, indexes created for catagories, and all sorts of other organizational tools to make connections.
- CamelCase describes what WikiWords look like. Multiple words, joined together without spaces, separated by changes in case. The uppercase and lowercase letters show up like the humps of camels. This linking scheme is often also called BumpyText because it could look like CaMeL_CaSe.
In return you will get in trouble, if you need to have words displayed in CamelCase in your text. Moodle will automatically turn those words into anchors with a link pointing to a new site. You may turn off this CamelCase functionality in the menu “Editing Wiki” by checking the "CamelCase" box under "Wiki auto-linking options".
- Open the wiki
- Use the Administration drop down menu in the upper right corner of your screen to delete pages
Wiki search ignores hyperlinks so it is wise to add a "Keywords:" line which contains the words of the the page title separated by commas, and any other entries that you wish to be found by the search.