Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.8. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Using Wiki.
- This page is for documentation on how to use the wiki activity i.e. View, Edit, Links, History and is redirected from mod/wiki/view, a help page.
Adding a wiki page
There are several ways to add a new wiki page. In later versions of Moodle, the course participant's privileges can effect adding or editing wiki pages. First you will create a link to a page that does not exist, then the wiki will create the blank page which someone can edit.
From a wiki page
Participants in a wiki can also create a new wiki page by editing an existing page and adding a wiki link to the page they want to create
- Click the edit tab on the front page of the wiki ("Group" in our example)
- We added a catagory, "How to create a new page" in our example and it is not linked
- Type the desired page title in square brackets, for example [Image:Wiki_bracket_surds.JPG]]
- Save the page
The question mark after "Surds" is a hyperlink to the new empty page
- Click on the question mark
- Add content to the new page and save it.
- Now our front page called group has a hyperlink "Surds" and no question mark
After either selecting Save page or Show preview', the participant will then see a clickable link to "Roses"; they or someone else can click on it and begin to edit that page.
Add by initial wiki creation
When the teacher selects Wiki from the Add an Activity pull down menus in a course, they will be asked to create the first page.
Add by using search
Any participant (with correct privileges) of an existing wiki can enter the name of the page they would like to create in the Search box on a wiki page. For example they might enter the name "Roses".
- If the page already exists
- they will be taken to the page "Roses"
- If the page does not exist, they will see:
- There is no page titled "Roses"
- They can create this page by clicking on the "create this page" link
- and begin editing the new page called "Roses"
Editing a wiki page
Editing the standard Moodle wiki is simple
- Click on the edit tag at the top of the wiki page
- Edit the text
- Then save the page, or preview the page before saving
- Remember that MoodleDocs is a different(more robust and complicated) kind of wiki than the standard Moodle wiki. Many MoodleDoc or WikiMedia wiki tags (See Help:Editing) may not work in the standard Moodle wiki in versions 1.8 and earlier.
Wiki search ignores hyperlinks so it is wise to add a "Keywords:" line which contains the words of the the page title separated by commas, and any other entries that you wish to be found by the search.