Moodle site moodle directory
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.8. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Moodle site moodle directory.
The Moodle code is located in its own directory (folder) with files and sub-directories. Generally speaking, these are located in the zip file in the standard download in a directory called "moodle".
There are some key files in the "moodle" directory:
- config.php - contains basic settings. This file does not come with Moodle - you will create it by executing install.php or manually.
- install.php - the script you will run to create config.php
- version.php - defines the current version of Moodle code
- index.php - the front page of the site
Located in the "moodle" directory are the sub directories, which will contain more sub directories and php code files:
- admin/ - code to administrate the whole server
- auth/ - plugin modules to authenticate users
- blocks/ - plugin modules for the little side blocks on many pages
- calendar/ - all the code for managing and displaying calendars
- course/ - code to display and manage courses
- doc/ - help documentation for Moodle
- files/ - code to display and manage uploaded files
- lang/ - texts in different languages, one directory per language
- lib/ - libraries of core Moodle code
- login/ - code to handle login and account creation
- mod/ - all the main Moodle course modules are here
- pix/ - generic site graphics
- theme/ - theme packs/skins to change the look of the site
- user/ - code to display and manage users
moodledata - another folder
When a Moodle site is created in the install process, a folder is created outside of the "moodle" folder, usually called "moodledata". This folder includes user, course, site language and cached information.