Conditional activities settings
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.8. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Conditional activities settings.
Enabling the use of conditional activities
To use conditional activities, the feature must be enabled by an administrator by checking the "Enable conditional access" box in Administration > Site administration > Advanced features. A restrict access section will then appear for teachers on the Activity settings screen, with an 'Add restriction' button.
After clicking the 'Add restriction' button, a choice of conditions appears:
Restriction can be based upon Activity completion, date, grade, the group or grouping the students are in or user profile fields. The 'Restriction set' button also allows for more complex criteria requiring nested conditions.
See Activity completion Note that this button only appears if you have Activity completion enabled in your course.
Access can be restricted from or until a certain date and time.
You can specify a condition on any grade in the course: the full course grade, the grade for any activity, or a custom grade that you create manually. You can enter either a minimum value (at least percentage), a maximum value (less than percentage), both, or neither. The activity will only appear if the student has a value for the specified grade, and if it falls within any specified number range. You can add more than one grade condition. All conditions must be met in order for the activity to appear.
- The range numbers can be fractional (with up to five decimal places) if necessary.
- Be careful with the maximum value; if the maximum is 7, a student who scores exactly 7 will not see the activity. You could set it to 7.01 if you really wanted to include 7.
- If creating several different activities that appear according to grade ranges, use the same number for the maximum of one activity, and the minimum of the next. For example, you might create one activity with a maximum of 7 and another with a minimum of 7. The first would appear to everyone scoring between 0 and 6.99999, and the second would appear to everyone scoring 7.00000 to 10. This guarantees that everyone with a grade will see one or other.To remove a grade condition, set the assessment name to 'none' and remove the range number values
Group and groupings
If groups or groupings are used in the course, it is possible to restrict the activity to a certain group or grouping.
NOTE: This button only appears if you have groups enabled in your course.
This allows you to add a set of complex restrictions to apply complex logic. See Using Conditional activities for an example.
Hiding the conditions
- If the eye is SHUT then students who do not meet that part of the condition will not see the activity at all.
- If the eye is OPEN the students who do not meet that part of the condition will see the activity but it will be greyed out and have information about why they can't access it yet.
The shut eye takes precedence. For example, you could have 2 conditions, one based on date (with eye shut) and one based on completing a previous activity (with eye open). That way, the activity will not appear at all until the date; then it will appear, but tell you that you need to complete the other activity; then when you complete the other activity you can access it.
For OR and NOT AND type conditions, you only get a single eye icon instead of one for each condition
ALL or ANY Conditions
Further restrictions may be added by clicking the 'Add restriction' button again, and it is possible to specify that ALL the conditions or ANY of the conditions are required before the activity is made available. Thus, it is possible to use 'Or' as well as 'And' conditions. See Using Conditional activities for an example.
Restricting access to course sections
It is possible to restrict access to activities within a whole course section by specifying the conditions in the settings for that particular section.
Site administration settings
Administrators can disable selected restriction settings if desired from Site administration>Plugins>Availability restrictions>Manage restrictions.