Questions linking to files
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.7. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Questions linking to files.
Questions can include images (or other media files) that are placed in the text or feedback areas of a question.
In Moodle you have the choice to store files in :
- the site files area. These files are available to everybody unless your admin has set your Moodle installation to force login of all users of the site.
- the course files area where files are only accessible to those enrolled in the course or to others if you allow guests to access your course.
It is recommended that you store files in your questions :
- in the course files area if the files are only linked to from questions used in one course.
- in the site files area if the files are linked to from questions in more than one course.
Template:Moodle 1.9 Since Moodle 1.9 we have some automatic handling of files linked to by questions. We automatically detect files link to by questions which are in the course files area and site files area and ask you if you also want to move these linked files.
Now when moving questions between Question contexts you will be asked if you want to move or copy files linked to by the questions you are moving. So when you move questions :
- from the course or activity context to a course category or the core system context then you are asked if you would like to move any linked files in the course files area to the site files area.
- from a course category or the core system context to the course or activity context then you are asked if you would like to move / copy any linked files in the site files area to the course files area.
Automatic backup of files in site files area
Template:Moodle 1.9 Since Moodle 1.9 we also back up any files in the site files area that are linked to from questions backed up when you back up a course. The files backed up will be restored to the site files area when you restore the course (unless a file with the same name in the same directory already exists). And as before all course files are backed up if you back up your course files.