Difference between revisions of "Questions linking to files"
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.7. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Questions linking to files.
(→Moving / copying of linked files when you move questions between contexts: Needs more editing but better I think)
|Line 31:||Line 31:|
Revision as of 11:42, 23 December 2008
Questions can include images (or other media files) that are placed in the text or feedback areas of a question.
In Moodle you have the choice to store files in several areas or contexts:
- the site files area. These files are available to everyone who can reach the Front Page. Note, many sites force a user to log in to limit access.
- the course files area where files are only accessible to those enrolled in the course or to others if you allow guests to access your course.
- in a site or course subfolder area where an individual file can be seen by a student via a link.
- in a site or course sub folder which has been made available to students via the Directory resource.
It is recommended that you store files in your questions :
- in the course files area if the files are only linked to from questions used in one course. Typically in a folder called Quiz.
- in the site files area if the files are linked to from questions in more than one course.
Template:Moodle 1.9 Improvement made in Moodle 1.9 offer some automatic handling of files which are used by questions. Moodle automatically detects the files which are link to by questions. Moodle identifies each file's location in the course or site file area. It will ask if you also want to move these linked files at the time you move the question(s).
In Moodle 1.9, when moving questions between Question contexts you will be asked if you want to move or copy files linked to in the questions you are moving. Thus, moving questions:
- from the course or activity context to a course category or the core system context, you will be asked if you would like to move any linked files in the course files area to the site files area.
- from a course category or the core system context to the course or activity context, you will be asked if you would like to move / copy any linked files in the site files area to the course files area.
Automatic backup of files in site files area
Template:Moodle 1.9 Since Moodle 1.9 we also back up any files in the site files area that are linked to from questions backed up when you back up a course. The files backed up will be restored to the site files area when you restore the course (unless a file with the same name in the same directory already exists). And as before all course files are backed up if you back up your course files.