Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.5. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Installation Quickstart.
This guide is designed for administrators who have installed Moodle before and need a quick recap or for those administrators who wish to have an overview of the installation procedure before they start getting deeper into it.
Here are the steps
- Install PHP and required extensions, a supported database such as MySQL and a webserver on the target computer
- Create a blank database (call it moodle if you like) and create a database user with the appropriate permissions
- Create a data directory (call it moodledata if you wish) outside of the webserver.
- Ensure the webserver is the owner of the data folder and give the owner read, write and execute permissions
- Download Moodle
- Extract the files and place them in the documents folder on the webserver (or any webserver subfolder)
- Go to http://yourserver/install.php or http://yourserver/subfolders/install.php to start the installation
- Download the config.php file from your webserver and place in the moodle root if prompted
- If you agree witht he GPL license you will be allowed to continue
- Give your site a name and description
- Configure an admin account
One last thing
Once you have finished setting up moodle you need to set up cron
That's it! Well done :-)