Course completion settings
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.5. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Course completion settings.
In order to use the course completion features, it has to be enabled in the site administration settings before the course completion link will appear in the course administration menu. There are also settings which need to be reviewed in the course administration settings. You should also install the Course completion status block and the Self completion block to view reports and use some of the features of course completion.
- 1 Completion tracking settings
- 2 Course administration settings
- 3 Site administration settings
- 4 Course completion capabilities
Completion tracking settings
The following settings may be found in Settings > Course administration > Completion tracking:
Overall criteria type aggregation
Choose here how you wish to mark the course complete -whether you want Any or All of the requirements that follow to count towards completion.
- All means just that, every condition that has been checked. The most restrictive setting.
- Any means any one of those conditions that have been specified.
- This setting allows you to make "the completion of another course" as a condition for completing the course you are currently working in. This does not block the student from your current course; it simply means that the current course will not be marked complete until the first course has been marked complete. Thus, completion of the current course is dependent upon completion of an earlier course. Just select one or more courses in the "Courses available box".
- If completion tracking has not been set for any other courses yet then a message will appear as in (1). If completion tracking has been set elsewhere then the display changes to (2):
Manual self completion
If you check the box in this link, then students can mark the course as complete themselves. In order to do this, the Self completion block must also be added to the course.
Manual completion by
This setting allows users with selected roles to mark the course as complete. If used, put a check mark next to the role that can mark the course as complete. The roles listed are ones for which the capability Mark users as complete in course completion is allowed.
Select the Aggregation method "All" when every role that is marked here must put a check mark in the course completion report in order for the student's course to be marked complete.
Select the Aggregation method "Any" when one or more of the roles that are marked here have put a check mark in the course completion report in order for the student's course to be marked complete.
This setting will show a list of activities which have Activity completion setting defined. Put a check next to the ones which should count towards course completion.
The "All" aggregation method means that each of the checked activities must meet their Activity completion settings.
The "Any" aggregation method means that at least one of the checked activities must meet their Activity completion settings.
If you check the Enable box you can then set a date, after which the course will be declared complete..
Duration after enrolment
If you check the Enable box you can then choose a number of days after enrolment upon which the course will be marked complete.
If you check the Enable box you can set a passing grade for the course.
If you check the box Completion on unenrolment then the student's course will be complete once they have unenrolled.
Course administration settings
Course administration > Edit settings
- Student Progress
- Completion tracking must be enabled
- Completion tracking begins after enrollment (best practice is to check this).
Site administration settings
Site administration > Advanced features > Enable completion tracking (check enabled).
The above settings can be set as defaults for the site in Settings > Site administration > Courses > Course default settings.
- Tip: The Cron trigger default for course completion is every 10 minutes. This is not usually what the Teachers and Students expect. The length of time can be impacted by the server cron schedule and by the code found in /lib/completionlib.php under "Cache expiry time".
Course completion capabilities
There are two capabilities, both of which are allowed for the default roles of manager, teacher and non-editing teacher: